How to Participate
We are currently conducting a study of heritage language maintenance among Chinese-speaking families of children on the autism spectrum in the United States. You are welcome to participate if you:
- Are a parent of a child on the autism spectrum
- Currently live in the U.S.
- Speak Chinese (to any degree)
There are 3 ways for you to participate:
Take our survey
This anonymous survey asks about your background, language use, and how you speak with your child. It usually takes 15-30 minutes to complete. The survey is available in English, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese.
Parents who have taken the survey can also choose to participate in a 1-hour face-to-face, phone, or online interview. The purpose of the interview is to help us gain a deeper understanding of your thoughts and experiences regarding heritage language use with your child.
We are looking for 6 Chinese-speaking families with a child on the autism spectrum to participate in a 3-year study. The purpose of the study is to observe and record your child's language learning experiences and growth over time both in and out of the home.
You are invited to participate in this 3-year study if:
- You have a child with autism who is between 2- and 5-years-old
- You wish for your child to learn Chinese and currently speak Chinese with your child on a daily basis
- You live in the Northern California Bay Area
- You are ok with a member of our research team visiting/talking with you and observing/recording your child once every 2 months.
The following consent form offers a more detailed description of the study. If you would like more information or if you're interested in participating in the longitudinal study, please contact Dr. Betty Yu at firstname.lastname@example.org.